Name Place lived Birth - Death
Antonio GORI (il frucolino) Certaldo

1873 - 1961

(married to Clorinda BIGAZZI)

Antonio Gori was the son of a farmer family who had started a brick business by using the clay from a farm they owned just about four kilometers north of Certaldo.   He founded in Certaldo the "Societa' Laterizi" and by the 1930's he had saved enough money (and bricks) to build one of the best detached brick houses in Certaldo, with a front, side and back yard and a detached garage.   He also built a large cantina that was used to make wine with the grapes coming from the farms.  He did not want to plaster the outside of the house (as it was usual with stone and mortar houses) and left his bricks in full view.  On the second floor of the house he built a chapel, and obtained official permission to invite there priests to celebrate Mass.  His wife, Clorinda, used this chapel daily. 

They rented two rooms on the second floor and a small kitchen to the Mother Superior of the SS.Maria Bambina order of nuns, for free.  This was the same order that his sister Pierina, had joined.  Two nuns lived in the house after the war, until the sixties, but you could hardly see them.

The house included a large attic (soffitta) which was a paradise for the grandchildren to play and discover.

He married Clorinda Bigazzi, a lady from Arezzo, although originally her mother's family (Neroni-Mercati) was from Firenze.  They called their first born Giuseppe Augusto, breaking the tradition of the Gori family, but named their second son Luigi.  They also had a daughter, Pierina, who became a nun (Suor Maria).

Because of the relative wealth generated by his business, he could send his two sons to university.  The fist to Torino, to study medicine.  The second to Firenze to study pharmacy.  The wealth was "relative" because when he wanted to buy a pharmacy for his second son Luigi in Castelfiorentino, he had to borrow some money to afford the purchase.

His wife, Clorinda, died at age 83, in 1953.

He was nicknamed "il frucolino" because he was always active.  At the age of 75 he was still going by bicycle to the farms.  He used to bring there his youngest grandchild (Angiola's child Giuseppe) and show him the poplar trees on the river bank.

When he could no more manage the farms, he started a small home business building bird cages from scratch, using wood and iron wires, which he continued until past his eighties.

Eventually confined to a bed, because of arthritis, he died in his room in Certaldo in November 1961, at the age of 88, assisted by his daughter in law Angiola, who hardly ever left his side in the last ten years of his life.